Friday, October 10, 2008

fall conference 2008

Jared and I loved conference for the first time together this last weekend in our first home together. We were watching it online though, and the signal cut in and out, so we ended up catching many of the talks late on Sunday night. We were thrilled to be able to listen to the prophets and apostles of the Lord and we both witnessed that the mantle of the Prophet of God on the earth has certainly descended onto the shoulders on President Thomas S. Monson. Between the Sunday sessions, we were able to watch the video detailing President Monson's life and it was interesting to learn how this servant of the Lord was prepared for what was to come from the time he was born. He is truly a prophet of God we were inspired by his words and encouragement to love one another no matter the circumstance and to live a Christ-like life. One of our favorite talks was that of Elder Joseph Bitner Wirthlin. What a wonderful man of God he is. We loved his challenge to take more time to laugh throughout our lives and to as President Hinckley once said, "stop seeking the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight." We have been in Pocatello for a month now, today, and we are loving it. Between the two of us, we are working five jobs. Jared took a part time maintenance job and I am so proud of him for working so hard to support our family. I am now working full time for Virginia Transformer Corporation, which is an electrical transformer plant and repair shop. I've never had a job where I had to wear safety glasses outside before! :) I am also working for Down East Basics, a clothing company that makes adorable but modest clothing, and am excited to move up in that company. Pocatello is becoming more and more beautiful as we approach winter. The forecast for tonight and tomorrow is that the sky is said to drop over 6 inches of powder and although we can't wait for the holiday season, we aren't sure if we're ready for snow! To everything there is a season. Jared's sister Becky and her husband Paul came into town yesterday, so Jared and I, Randy and Tara, and Becky all went to lunch and it was great to spend time with family. We are excited to be closer to them. Happy Autumn!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind me asking this, but I am trying to get in touch with a Ben Tolley, who served a mission for the Church in England in the late 1960's. The last time I have found mention of him was in Idaho. You mention a Ben Tolley in one of your posts, and I am hoping there may be a link to the Ben Tolley I am seeking.

    Whilst on his mission in England the Ben Tolley I am seeking served in a city called Hull, with a companion named Jerry Glenn Bott. They baptised a couple that are dear friends of mine. Their names are John and Val Sims. John has been diagnosed with terminal cancer in the liver and pancreas, and is close to death. He would just love to get in touch with Ben one last time, in order to thank him for all that the Gospel has brought into his life. They are a "Forever Family" because of Ben and Jerry.

    This is not a begging letter, and is just an attempt by me to try and put them in touch with Ben. (They are already in touch with Jerry.)

    If the Ben that you mention in the blog is the Ben that I am seeking, he can contact me on my e-mail address of tonga@ldschurch.org

    John's daughter, Maxine, has set up a lovely blog to her father's memory, and this can be found at johnsims-ourhero

    As stated previously, this is just an attempt to put this dear brother in touch with the missionary that changed the lives of him and his family. I am a serving LDS Bishop, and would not waste your time. I just want to help my dear friend.

    Best regards,

    Alan Tong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a cool post from alan tong... you should post on here what happens with that. anyways, conference was great! I also watched it at home and on the internet.

    ReplyDelete