Thursday, June 12, 2008

the proposal

Even though we've been engaged for almost three weeks now...it wasn't technically official until last Saturday night when Jared proposed to Jess! We'll start out with the story of the ring... Jessica is(and those of you who know her can attest to this) sometimes a little quirky and does things like tries to get out of the car but forgetting to put it in park, or putting the leftovers under the sink instead of in the fridge, so she has always been a little nervous about wearing $3.000 on her hand and therefore asked for something simple. We searched and searched and went to every jewelry store in the mall and found some great choices but nothing that really caught our eye. We then went to a store that we had heard about on the radio and walked in and found a beautiful setting that we loved, but we asked the sales associate about the cost....NO WAY!!! The setting alone was twice as much as any of the rings we had found earlier that day. So while the very nice lady went to get the diamond, we looked at each other other and said, "This may be our only chance..." so we walked out the door, trying desperately not to lose it in hysterics. There was one more store that we had actually been putting off all day...honestly because of the name....we went to Jared's! That's right folks! Jared went to Jared's! But there it was...the ring of my dreams! Our favorite part of the day was when we were purchasing the ring and sizing my finger and so on and so forth...and lo and behold, our song started to play over the radio. "Something" by the Beatles(covered by Jim Sturgess)! So sweet! The ring had to be resized and we were told that it would be ready on Saturday night. Saturday night came and Jared's mom and stepdad were coming that night to take us to dinner. As I was getting ready to go, Jared came downstairs and said that his parents were lost and that he had to go and pick them up, which made total sense to me at first....anyone can get lost even if they've been somewhere a hundred times! He came back and asked me if I would be terribley disappointed if I received the ring after he got home from work the next week...and I said something like "Jared, i would really like the ring for the pictures but if that's what you need to do then that's what we'll do." Jared had said that we just didn't have enough time and he didn't want to make everyone wait for dinner! But secretly I was devastated or maybe not so secretly..... manifested by the fact that I didn't talk to him for the rest of the night! (totally not true!!!) Then as we were leaving dinner, he asked if we could go to Temple Square that night and take a walk together. I didn't think anything of that either because we took a walk there the night he got home as well. So we drove downtown, parked the car, and got out of the car, but not before Jared went back for his "sweater!" We walked to the temple and walked up the stairs to the front doors and I'm sure I was talking about something that had nothing to do with anything, he took my hand and pulled me close and whispered in my ear..."Do you love me?" "Of course I do," I said. " Can I ask you one more question?" he said. "Will you marry me?" as he got down on one knee and presented the ring. Of course I was crying and laughing all at the same time and barely even looked at the ring because I was too busy saying "yes, yes, yes" over and over again and not wanting to let go of him! There was a man taking pictures of the temple that night and he came up to us and said, "I'm sorry, I don't mean to intrude but did you just propose?" "Would you mind if I take your picture and I can email it to you?" We have yet to see that email but somewhere out there is a picture of the future Jared and Jessica Tolman just after getting engaged! We'll post it when it finally gets here! So there you have it! It's official! We're engaged!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great story, great future! Can't wait to meet you Jessica. You probably know how much we love your sweetheart. He is like on of our own.
    always,
    mamachele

    ReplyDelete